Surface Pro 3 Getting Starting Tips for Super Users
- Run Windows Update (do this from both the Charms Bar and the Control Panel)
- Run App Store Updates and Sync Licenses (Store > Charms > Settings > App Updates)
- f.lux reliably crashed my Surface Pro 3 eight times in four days. Avoid.
- Touchpad settings for typing.
- Charms > Settings > Change PC Settings > Mouse and touchpad > Touchpad.
- Prevent the cursor from accidentally moving while you type. Turn off taps or change the delay to Long delay.
- Home and End buttons on the Typepad are to the left of the Del key.
- Relax the Pen Flicks settings.
- Practiced using Flicks (Control Panel > Pen and Touch > Flicks > Practice).
- Flicks are easier with sensitivity set to Relaxed.
- Use the Typepad function keys (e.g. F5) by holding the Fn key first.
- E.g. to refresh the browser window, press Fn + F5.
- This also works with longer chords. E.g. do a hard refresh with SHIFT + Fn + F5
Things I Really Like
- Drawing and hand writing with the stylus. It’s fun (especially the different pen sizes) and lets me take hand written notes or draw diagrams.
- Handwriting recognition with the onscreen keyboard. Open the onscreen keyboard, hit keyboard board options, and choose stylus mode. It took me five minute to learn.
- The Typepad lights up in the dark! This is really helpful for working in low light.
- The power supply’s built-in USB charger! This is terrific for charging my phone while I work.
- The weight! It’s so nice to have such a portable device (walking, busing, and biking are my primary modes of transport).